When people first arrive in a Pilbara town there are a number of initial thoughts…. Where the hell am I? It’s the middle of nowhere! It’s soooo hot…. And of course, what do people do here besides work and sleep?
I am sure you have heard the saying ‘never judge a book by its cover’- well that sums up initial impressions of the Pilbara perfectly! We are not in a major Capital City, we don’t have huge shopping complexes, large indoor cinemas, access to Broadway shows, constant concerts or millions of fine dining restaurants. We do however, in my opinion, have so much more on offer than that!
1) Camping – roll out a swag and sleep under the stars! Enjoy roasting marshmallows around a campfire and share stories with friends and family
2) Fishing – The Pilbara Region boats some of the best fishing spots in the world! Whether you are interested in recreational fishing, game fishing or simply catching squid or crabs, this is the place to do it!
3) 4-wheel driving – We are surrounded by red dirt and a terrain that is perfect for 4-wheel driving adventures! If you haven’t done this before you have to give it a go – so much fun!
4) Water Sports – Not available in every Pilbara town but will only be a short drive away. Try Stand Up Paddle Boarding, Kayaking, Jet Skiing, Diving, Spear Fishing and snorkelling
5) Prospecting – Whilst the gold rush is long and gone, there are still traces of it to be found in our beautiful region. Go on adventure and see what you can find
6) Walking Adventure Trails – We are surrounded by famous National Parks and breathtaking landscapes. Dedicated walking trails are mapped out all across the region. Grab a map and start exploring.
7) Pannawonica Rodeo – Interested in a weekend of entertainment with bucking bull competitions and horse shows? Attend the annual Pannawonica Rodeo! You can even camp of the Rodeo grounds! Fun for all ages.
8) Horse Race Days in a number of Pilbara and Kimberly Towns! Every year there are a number of race days across the region. Go place some bets, get dressed up and enjoy some champagne!
9) Events that come to our towns or hosted by local businesses such as, The Fenacle Festival, The Melbourne Comedy Festival, Red Dog Relay, Beats in the Heat Music Festival and much more!
10) Weekends away to Coral Bay, Exmouth, Gnaraloo Station, Broome, with many more stunning places to explore! I encourage you to google these places – trust me, what the look like in the pictures is exactly what they look like in real life…. paradise!
Get outdoors! See what the ‘real Australia’ has to offer! You don’t want to come to Australia and experience things that you can see in any capital city around the world, you want to come and experience things unique to Australia’s outback and culture.
If you have any questions on what you can do for fun in the Pilbara, feel free to contact me: email@example.com. We hope to see you soon!